Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Parlor Mob

I remember when I first found The Parlor Mob I was dumbfounded it took me so long. It was the beginning of last year and I had given up my desperate search for good Rock, which is impossible to find. Even though I mostly listen to Rap now, it upsets me that Rock is fading away so fast, it's dying. In fact, the reason I listen to Rap so much now is because it's so easy to find and it comes out so often. Whenever I go under the the Top Rock Songs/Albums section in iTunes it makes me want to cry. It's filled with weird screamo bands and AC/DC, Journey, and Aerosmith songs that have been discounted to $0.69, which don't get me wrong, are great bands, but how could they still possibly be on the top of the charts? The reason I still listen to Fall Out Boy is because they are one of the few bands that still have multiple vocalists, drums, a bass, and heavy amounts of electric guitar. However, that doesn't mean I hate where Rock is going. Alternative bands like The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, AWOLNATION, Imagine Dragons, Muse, fun, etc. are changing the way the genre sounds, and not in a bad way. But I still miss that sound. My Chemical Romance was pretty close, the lyrics could get pretty emo and punk at times, but the sound was undeniably Rock. Unfortunately, they broke up this summer. Switchfoot made some great Rock, but if you listened to their new EP, you can see they abandoned that sound for the growing alternative craze, but I digress.

I found The Parlor Mob when I was looking under the almost always disappointing iTunes Rock section. They had won the Rock Album of The Year (iTunes gives awards?) for Dogs. I found it interesting that the band that won was a group I had never heard of, but they had every right to win the accolade. When I clicked on their single from the album, "Into The Sun", it was like a breath of fresh air. The singer, Mark Melicia, was the first thing I noticed. The vocals weren't whiny like Patrick Stump's (Fall Out Boy), nor gravelly like the vocalists of Hard Rock bands like Avenged Sevenfold or Disturbed, they were the voice of a goddamn angel. Then there's the two guitarists David James Rosen and Paul Ritchie, who can create sick riffs and awesome solos, or slow it down. Add that to Anthony Chick's bass and Sam Bey's drumming, and you've got the formula for a true, pure Rock band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment