Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Mac Miller-Diablo


In 2011, I think I had two rap songs on my iTunes. One was "Lose Yourself" and the other was "Donald Trump" by Mac Miller. Mac Miller was the first artist I listened to that wasn't on iTunes, at the time, I didn't even know what a mixtape was. It's the same case for a lot of people my age, Mac Miller's K.I.D.S. is like our generation's Dedication by Lil Wayne. I was an avid fan of Mac Miller until his weak I Love Life, Thank You mixtape. Tracks like "Party on 5th Ave" and "Frick Park Market" were the only things I used to play on my iPod Touch, and now I don't listen to him at all. By no means have I given up on him though, I've always listened to his new music with an open mind, but never got into it. I was so excited when someone told me that Watching Movies With The Sound Off was some of Mac Miller's best work, but I was only let down when I listened to it. Front to back, I couldn't find a single song a really liked even though songs like "Goosebumps" were decent. Still, I've never lost hope, and when Mac Miller said that he had four albums done or almost done I got excited. I figured there was no way that he could release that much music without me liking any of it, I just didn't know it would come so soon. In 2013, Mac Miller debuted his alter-ego Larry Fisherman, who produces most of Mac's music now. I was a bit worried by this because the best Mac Miller songs were the ones with complex beats with trumpets interlaced. On "Diablo", however, all of my fears have vanished as it's clear that Miller is maturing as an artist. He ditches his usual high energy beats for a slow, piano ridden one reminiscent of underground rap such as MF Doom. He slows things down in his flow and puts thoughts into his lyrics and it shows. After listening to this 3-minute joint once, I knew two things. 1) This is my favorite Mac Miller song and 2) Mac Miller's fucking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment